Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Inspiring trip to The Bahama's!




I flew into Nassau on Sunday January 22. In the short time I was in Nassau I was so inspired and surprise by happenings around me. At the airport the locals would smile at me, say hello while holding eye contact.   It had a sweet impact on me. How many times back home do I rush by people and they rush by me and there is no acknowledgement that the other even exists?

Having extra time while waiting for my next flight to Andros Island to visit my Aunt and Uncle I sat outside watching people come and go from the airport.  I was witnessing 3 taxi drivers dressed in their Sunday best, colorful ties and firmly pressed shirts and trousers. They were sitting on a colorful bench waiting for fares. Next to them was a pay phone. My 7 year old niece would have asked me “Aunt Sassy, ( she calls me that, I for the life of me can’t figure out why! J) what is that contraption on the wall??????

I felt like I reached back in time, to a slower pace and a time of appreciation.

Night fell, I was at my aunt and uncles and was walking back to my cottage and I looked up. OMG the stars were brilliant, there was no ambient light and I felt like I could reach up and touch a star.

There were many other gifts that happened that week, like my cousins son running to the beach to see the gorgeous Articus, a White German Sheppard. Articus was running in and out of the water and the little boy was trying to catch him. Then Articus just needed to chill out and laid down in the water. I took this with a digitally converted Infrared Camera.

Then the one gift that surprised me the most…….the first full day on the island internet service went down on the whole island. This can’t be happening. I left a message on my work line saying I would be available by e-mail. Now what? No cell service no internet, I was disconnected. Panic mode stepped in. I was finally able to get word to my sons via an emergency line on Andros what had happened and why they hadn’t heard from me. Once I got home that they told me they knew that once  I was able to get a message to them I would be able to let it all go, not be distracted and be present with my trip and everything around me. Wise comment, that was so true from my sons who are in their 20's and know what it is like to be uber connected by technology. 
I have to admit loosing the internet during the whole time I was down there was an incredible gift, really making me reflect on so many wonderful things and stay in the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment