Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day 2012



My brother and his family sent my mom flowers for mothers day. At 80 she is so thrilled by the small things, beautiful flowers and calls from her children or grandchildren. I watched her arthritic hands open up the box the flowers, she took her time and was very deliberate with her movements. Almost as though each motion was savored, experiencing the opening of a present with joy and anticipation. I feel so blessed to be sharing mothers day with not only my sons but also with my mom.

My youngest and his girlfriend left on a cruise today, I was so thrilled to take them to the boat in NYC. They were like children so excited and kiddy with joy.

MY gifts on mother's day was to witness the excitement of 24 year old's going on their first vacation together. My mom being excited by a floral arrangement as though it was the first time she received flowers. AND driving through the streets of NYC on my way to The Cloisters to photograph, watching so many men and young children carrying flowers and plants as gifts to honor the mothers in their lives. What a special day.

2 comments:

Barbara Latham said...

Lovely story about Mother's Day, Laurie. I envy you going to the Cloisters. It has been my dream to go...but when I was in NYC we didn't have enough time.

Hope you'll post pix, though.

Laurie Klein said...

Thanks Barbara. I hope you get to go when you are back in the city. I mainly photographed the tree tops. It was such a beautiful day with the dark blue sky and the new growth in the leave. Truly perfect for infrared.
Nice hearing from you.

Post a Comment