I was facilitating a high school job fair years ago and a student came up to me and asked how I found photography. After telling her my story she looked right in my eyes and said “It sounds like photography found you!”
I guess it did. I could have easily fallen through the cracks in high school floundering from one thing to another. If it wasn’t for an art teacher, a music teacher, a guidance counselor and a professional photographer I wouldn’t have had this incredible career nor found my passion at such a young age or for that fact I may never have.
So many art programs are being cut from schools these days which is such a shame. So years ago I decided I have to pay it forward. I have been mentoring students since. Many will not go on to art school yet they will have learned how to tap into their creativity in any endeavor and challenge they will meet in their lives.
I”ve mentored students one on one for many years. Seven years ago I established a program with the local school systems.
Students work with me for 8-15 weeks, depending on the program, learning technical skills, method acting and commit to a theme that culminates with an exhibit that they are involved with the producing of. We meet weekly and
do a number of photographic playdates to work on techniques and composition.
The past two years my mentoring program has been very fortunate to be a part of the Young Talent Gallery at the Hunt Hill Trust Fund, which was founded by the composer and conductor of the New York Pops, Skitch Henderson. They work with the curator there on learning how to hang a gallery exhibit and participate in an artist talk open to the public.
Numerous students of mine have gone on to college to study art at well know institutions such as RIT, Parsons, Pratt, SVA, SMFA, and SCAD to name a few. Many have opened up their own photographic studios.

1 comment:
bookmаrked!!, I really like your ωebsite!
Also visit my web page ... moderator training
Post a Comment