Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mara Blom Schantz inspires me.


I received this message last week from Mara:

"Way back in 2002  you gave me great advice at the first Women's retreat that Professional Photographers of America  hosted (now called Chicks Who Click).  I came up to you after you spoke and we chatted.  You took a genuine interest and we talked about black and white photography.  I expressed my concern and anxiety because I felt I was being pressured to give up what I love to do (photograph with black and white film) to go digital in order to make purses with kids images on them, unframed canvases, etc.  We talked about how I love photographing with film and why and how that makes me distinctive.  You told me to stay the course and that I did not have to give that up.  "Don't listen to all the noise." or something like it is what you said.  So I followed your advice and now, 12 years later, I am still using black and white film to document my clients and offering fine art, archival hand printed pieces.  I feel like I am very distinctive now, especially in this crazy market!  It has allowed me to grow my business and profitability.

Thank you!
Mara"

Mara Blom Schantz
http://artisticimpressionsbymara.com/

She has just produced a new lovely new book "A Celebration of Motherhood."

A Celebration of Motherhood is a book of black and white photographs that tells the stories of the many different mothers with different experiences, but one thing in common - their love and dedication to their children. http://www.amazon.com/dp/061592316X/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk



 Mara also holds motivating workshops for professional photographers with her partner Karen Carey. www.thethriveworkshop.com

It is so inspirational to see how Mara has been authentic to her passions and gifts and how she and Karen are helping others, paying it forward with their creative quests.

1 comment:

Mara Schantz said...

Thank you Laurie! I so appreciate you and your post. You are a great talent and teacher.

Post a Comment