Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fireworks photography TIPS and I challenge you

I can't wait for this 4th of July weekend. Saturday night there will be a plethora of fireworks on the lake.
So here is the deal....I wanted to share a few photographic tips for you about getting those great fireworks shots as well as asking you to post them on my Facebook page and  wait and see the reaction and feedback you will get. Who ever gets the most comments I will give a free one hour Skype photo session too. You game?????

So first off, remember to go somewhere that fireworks are going to take place. I am sure my sons are rolling their eyes and this comment. I had to  start off with a bit of levity.

Really first, have a tripod or a stable place that you can prop your camera up on. Flash doesn't work for fireworks yet it can be an interesting addition if you have other objects, ie people in the foreground to light them up with a back drop of the fireworks. Remember this is a time to explore and sometimes the best mistakes are the most interesting imagery. DIGITAL IS PERFECT FOR LEARNING HOW TO DO LONG EXPOSURE PHOTOGRAPHY.

If you have a remote or a cable release please use it!

Use manual focus.

Try setting up before it gets too dark.

ISO 400.

Try using as close to F 11 or F 16

Shutter speeds at 2 seconds to 10 seconds is great. Different times will yield different results. If you have a bulb setting on your camera that would be the best.

Check you histograms to make sure your exposure is correct.

Start with photographing one burst of fireworks at a time.

Once you get in the groove experiment and try multiple of fireworks rocketing at the same time.

Use different zooms for different results.

Lastly have a blast!

Don't forget to post them!

1 comment:

James Cookfair said...

thanks for the tips Laurie. here's last years from south beach. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1538613589684.2071270.1365214068

Post a Comment